Sunday, March 13, 2011

From Trainspotting to Crockpotting

I've said it before. Though I can't be sure, I think I used to be cooler.

I'm not sure when it started, but I think a potato might have had something to do with it. We didn't have kids yet and an older woman that I was friends with mentioned that she was making potato soup from scratch. I thought to myself wow - this woman makes soup that doesn't come from a can. She gave me the recipe and I gave it a try and was pretty successful. Of course, the secret to making really good potato soup involves bacon. Sort of earth shattering to me at the time and also my first attempts at "home cooking".

So this soup incident happened in 1996. I'd been married about a year and we lived in downtown Atlanta where it seemed like everything that was anything was happening within a few blocks of our condo. We hosted dinner parties and I started to cook. The movie Trainspotting came out that year. It was uber cool at the time. I don't recall that films were edgy before that and it really stuck out. We saw it in the theater, fairly early, and of course we knew about "the scene." At our parties, we'd discuss things like "the scene" while we ate fancy party food.

So when did I become Queen of the Crockpot? A woman who can make a killer slow cooked pot roast. A woman who rarely sees an edgy film until it makes it to DVD, and even then, probably after it's been out for a year. And even then, only maybe. And even then, with the distinct possibility of falling asleep during the highly anticipated film, likely in a pot roast induced coma. A woman who hasn't hosted an actual dinner party in years, never mind mentioning "the scene" that I'd slept through.

That part is a bit fuzzy, but it seems to have cemented, solidified over the last few years. So here's the thing. I am mostly okay with it.

There I said it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some bacon to fry.

2 comments:

Wendy Smith said...

Just wandered in from cyberspace and read this post. I love it! It is so true of all our lives, how we change and grow and new things become important to us. nice job and writing that I would like to read more of.

Unknown said...

And I'm absolutely loving my wusthof!