Monday, September 6, 2010

Back to school

As I write this, I am listening to the end of summer. In Massachusetts, the kids don't go back until after Labor Day, so they have been swimming and biking and running through the sprinkler and eating huge slices of watermelon. Even now, at dusk, there are a half dozen children in my backyard squeezing every last second out of the last day. Yesterday we had a barbeque and I wore white pants. My neighbor made sangria and we had an evening fire. All in all it has been a good send off.

Tomorrow school starts, and fall will follow, with all of its responsibilities. Finish your homework. Bring a jacket. Get the chimney checked. Rake the leaves. Order firewood.

Tomorrow is a bit of a false start really. Girlie only has a half day and she's off Thursday for Rosh Hashanah. Next week will be the real deal for her and for me too. I start a fiction class which will hopefully help me reign in all the crazy or possibly, let it all out. I've been writing a little, working on a new short story, but I am looking forward to the accountability of a ten week class. Little Guy will have two full days of preschool each week, so I will have some writing time. Serious writing time.

Girlie has her first day outfit picked out and a new backpack with a perfect pink notebook inside it. My new beginning isn't quite as well accessorized. But I am excited all the same.

No comments: