Sunday, February 28, 2010

Good grief

Another bad weekend of problems with my father's health and this time my Mom is along for the ride. I got a call today that they are both in the hospital. So far, Mom is okay, it looks like a bout of the flu with a minor infection. She's been through a lot in the last few months and it seems to be catching up with her. I think they will have her on antibiotics and hopefully she'll be out in a few days.

With my Dad it's different. They'll do some things for him too but he won't get better from here. At this point his goal is to die at home in his sleep, so I'm sure he'll hang on long enough to get out of the hospital. At least I hope so, this dying business is excruciatingly complicated.

So I have been walking around weepy all day. I know it's coming. I know my Dad knows how I feel about him. We've had the talk. We've listened to the doctors together. We've pretended to understand. Yes, we're aware, but we are all also completely unprepared. Completely.

And today I had a good cry. It just seemed like the thing to do.

No comments: