Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Steampunk and staring down the barrel of forty

A few weeks ago, Hubs turned thirty-nine. No biggie, except that means I'm next. And next year he'll turn forty. And then so will I.

Holy Crap.

I don't know where I was poking around, but I came across the term steampunk and had no idea what it was. So, of course, I googled it. And then I still had no idea. So I poked around some more. And now, I think I kind of get it. Kind of.

But alas, I am at the age where I have to look up stuff mentioned on hipster websites. To be entirely fair, I wouldn't say I've ever been cutting edge. But I had heard of stuff. I didn't always know about it, but I knew of it.

Now I know of nothing.

Turns out, steampunk is often associated with cyberpunk, though steampunk tends to be less dystopian. So it is, unlikely, even in my younger days, that I would have known about this. And maybe, I wouldn't have known of it either.

Either way, I am now too old to be sure.

1 comment:

Allison Kruskamp said...

When you're cool, age is irrelevant. That being said, this is the year I turn 35 and it's kinda caught me off guard. Paul's 35, not me.