Monday, January 12, 2009

How to pick up chicks

The older I have gotten the harder it has become to make new friends. We have moved three times in the last eight years and each time it seems to be taking longer to settle in. I blame it mostly on the children. They keep me so busy that it is hard to take the time to cultivate a new relationship. Anyway, lately I find myself at the park with one eye on Girlie and the Little Guy and the other checking out the chicks. Hmmm, I think. She's cute. I edge closer and try to strike up a conversation. Just when we get into the swing of it, someone falls off the slide or needs a juice or has to make a hasty exit to the potty. We exchange names quickly and hope to see each other next time. This process can take forever and after a few months of pleasantries, I might discover that this chick and and I aren't compatible anyway.

I wish there was a "speed dating" service for new Mom friends. With fifteen minutes of uninterrupted conversation we could find out if we have anything in common beyond our children. If she has a snarky sense of humor, loves wine and coffee as much as I do, and wouldn't be caught dead gluing pictures into a scrapbook, we could go out on a real "date." What do you think? Matchamom.com?

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I think making friends in adulthood is always hard, moms and non-moms. I miss having single female friends. Everyone I know doesn't do things on the spur of the moment since they have husbands to make plans with or children to consider.

Scrapbooking is a very annoying hobby. But I bead so I probably shouldn't condemn.

Mental Momma said...

Agreed. I find it so strange that most of my best friends were made in my teens and early twenties. I was such a nutcase then...