Monday, December 29, 2008

I just expect things to work properly...

I wouldn't say I am a pessimist, but then again I tend to think that a glass half full is still only half full. Half empty? Half full? How about a full glass? Now we're talking! Anyway, I tend to view things with a cynical but optimistic eye. In other words, I expect things to suck, but hope for the best anyway.

So my vacuum cleaner is now around five years old and I honestly haven't used the thing in years. When we moved to Arizona and I sold my business, I also sold my biweekly paycheck, so one of our budget cuts involves me cleaning the house again. Every time I take it out to vacuum, I dream of a Dyson. The Cadillac of vacuum cleaners. When the English guy on the commercial says "I just think things should work properly." I swoon a little. I am sure that this machine could make my carpet stand up and sparkle. I just know that I could get used to my first house without hardwoods if I owned the gleaming yellow model of centrifuge engineering. I try to justify the gazillion dollar price tag. It would protect the carpeting and beautify the house. It would banish microscopic dust that we are certainly inhaling. An investment!

As usual, I was grizzling over the vacuum cleaner while trying to clean up the remnants of our Christmas tree. This thing just doesn't work! I turned it off and started poking around the bagless filter, checking the hoses for clogs. Suddenly I discovered a hidden compartment! Filled with dust! Huge chunks of five years worth of disgusting dust! And a washable filter! Turns out I didn't need to get a Dyson. I just needed to get a clue. I took the vacuum cleaner completely apart, cleaned it out, and guess what? It works like a charm.

It seems like lately my cynicism is overriding my optimism, especially with products around the house. Nothing really seems to last past a few years and instead of taking the time to really investigate, I wrote off my vacuum cleaner as another disposable purchase. I can still remember my Mom cleaning with an old stainless Hoover that she got when she and my father got married. She wouldn't have dreamt of tossing out a five year old vacuum cleaner and I shouldn't either. I am sure a Dyson would fulfil its promises, but right now my budget is prodding me to stick with my good old standby. So for now I will put off indulging in a luxurious new vacuum cleaner and treat myself to a nice bottle of wine for my outstanding handiwork on my existing machine. Now where is my half full glass...

1 comment:

Stacy said...

That's a very good discovery! You should definitely pour yourself a glass of wine and drink to the pioneer woman spirit that led you to take the darn thing apart in the first place.