Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The one where I use the word AND too much

I don't know about you guys, but the holiday season exhausts me. Like I told a gal pal the other day, "Christmas, you know, the holiday where I make everyone else's dreams come true."

As a mother of young children you feel like that. There is the cooking, the baking, the buying, the wrapping, and all of that on top of all the military style coordination required to shuffle everyone from one festivity to the next. There's the hiding of the gifts and the way the kids get cranked and a little wacky from all of the excitement.

There are house guests to accommodate and rooms to decorate. There are pine needles to pick out of your socks and stockings to save from the dog. There are last minute surprise gifts from people you barely know. There are rickety glittery homemade presents from the kids to be fawned over. There are cocktails too sweet and too quickly consumed, ditto for the cookies.

And there is always gluttony followed by guilt.

And right now I am the mother of a two year old boy. And there is nothing more exhausting, except maybe being the mother of a newborn. Or maybe being the mother of a seven year old girl.

So, yes, I am glad it is over. And maybe Little Guy is on to something, what I really need is a day in my pj's to read a book.

And to be the kid at Christmas again.

No comments: