Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Shark mouth

So as soon as the lights go down and the music starts to swell, I cry at Broadway shows. It is one of those dorky things about me. I get choked up pretty easily. And it doesn't have to be quality entertainment, a cheesy movie or even a local Christmas productions will do just fine.

Back in the day, I used to be a bad ass. At one of my corporate jobs when I was a project manager in charge of some fairly sizable projects, it was my job to make sure that people got things done. Sometimes it meant that I wasn't nice. A couple of my co-workers gave me a little plastic shark that I kept on my desk.


Shark mouth closed? Friendly and approachable. Shark mouth open? You'd better be ready to swim for the boat!

Not that I didn't cry over sappy movies then, but I knew I could count on my inner shark when necessary. These days I feel like I've gone all soft. Having a second child has taken the edge away right down to my squishy middle section and I wonder if I'll ever get it back.

Certainly motherhood changes you for the better. It opens your heart and rearranges your priorities in the best way possible. I wouldn't change the choices I've made.

I'd just like to think I've still got some oceans to terrorize.


No comments: