Sunday, January 17, 2010

Something from nothing


Lately I have been taking note of the amazing talents of several of my girlfriends and, though I realize how pointless this is, I can't help cataloging where I come up short.

I really really admire people who can make things with their hands. Sewing, painting, baking, photography -these are all areas that I don't seem to have the patience or the natural aptitude for.

Not that I don't have some artistic tendencies. When I had my store, I was pretty good at visual merchandising and I think my house reflects that same creativity. I have an eye for putting things together, but they have to exist already. I can't make something tangible from nothing and so as artists go, I hover at the sidelines like a fringe creative.


I think that this is what attracts me to fiction writing. I can't make things with my hands, so I make them with my mind. Or I attempt to.

But over the last few months, I haven't had the time to work on my fiction. I have picked up a little extra writing work and between that and the kids, I haven't been able to carve out a routine that gives me time for fiction. What I really need to do is figure out how to fit it in. It means some sacrifice somewhere and I just have put some thought into it. Really, I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now, but I haven't done anything about it.

Instead, I waste my time wishing I could knit a scarf.

1 comment:

latisha said...

gorgeous picture!!!!!!!

and you are an artist. remember those star cookies?