Friday, September 25, 2009

Best of Phoenix


Around this time of year, Phoenix starts to shift from oppressive to oasis.

Last week, a friend and I were discussing the ups and downs of what I like to call embracing the cactus. She has lived in four different states, just since I have known her, and moved here just a few months before I did. She thinks it is nice, but really misses the seasons. She thinks the summer is horrendous and isn't totally convinced that Phoenix is a real metropolis. She's from Boston, so I might have to give her that one.

On the other hand, I am still pretty blown away by this place. Yes, you certainly have to admire it with caution. The heat can take you out and the landscape is a little prickly.

But when the summer finally ends, Phoenix is glorious. I have mountain views from my home office window, and soon enough, there will be a cool breeze blowing in as I sit here and type. And while our friends back east are slushing through ice and snow, we'll be hiking the hills and then hanging out in the back yard, steaks on the grill and a gorgeous moon hovering low and amazingly bright. We'll be sitting on patios, a fire crackling nearby, sipping margaritas. We'll be planning road trips and perfecting our horseshoe toss. You know, summer stuff.

We just get to do it from October until May.

Anyway, don't just take my word for it, if you need more proof, check this out.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I must say, you make it sound pretty good!

jill partridge said...

Embracing the cactus ... love it! You are such a talented writer, Cheri.